Julie’s Granola

Julie Reinhardt's Granola

Julie Reinhardt will probably reject the notion that she is the perfect person, but I will put forth that theory anyway. Her granola is just the latest example of a life being exceptionally well lived.

Julie ReinhardtJulie is a physician. She is mother to Renee and wife to Len. Len has been renovating their house for – oh, I don’t know – more than a year?  Maybe two? That woman has not uttered a single peep of complaint. She single-handedly resurrected the Women of St. Paul’s from a dry and dusty group that met one Sunday a month to hear speakers to the fun-loving, wine-tasting, appetizer-happy group it is today. She is the Children’s Sermon lady every Sunday at the 8:45 service. She makes 300 turkey and arugula mayonnaise tea sandwiches each and every year for the English Tea. She is a fabulous cook, a witty conversationalist and pretty as a picture, inside and out.

And I always learn a thing or two from Julie. Like how to make my own granola. She made some for the Women of St. Paul’s Bake Sale in July and I bought a bag. It was the perfect combination of not-too-sweet, toasty, full of nuts and seeds – the way I love my granola. So as I parceled out the good stuff a fourth of a cup at a time so as to stretch out the duration of my granola happiness, I asked her for the recipe.

This is super easy to do. Excluding the oats, water, honey and oil, you can adjust it to fit your preferences. More nuts or less, wheat germ or bran, coconut or no coconut, fruit or no fruit. Whatever.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Julie's Granola
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Ingredients
  • 4 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup sliced almonds
  • ½ cup sesame seeds
  • ¾ cup wheat germ or oat bran
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup honey
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • Optional: 1-2 cups dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, apricots, etc
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
  2. Combine the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, sesame seeds, wheat germ and coconut in a large bowl. Sprinkle the water over the dry ingredients, then add the honey and oil.
  3. Wipe out the measuring cup that was used for the oil onto a roasting pan and lightly grease the pan and your hands. Using your hands, combine the honey, oil and dry ingredients until evenly mixed.
  4. Pour the mixture into the roasting pan and bake for 1 hour, 45 minutes or until the granola is golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes.
  5. Cool and add chopped fruit if desired. Store in airtight container.
Notes
You can substitute coconut oil for vegetable oil. And add more or less of any ingredient but the oats, water, honey and oil. If you want to reduce clean-up, line the baking pan with heavy duty foil before you add the granola mixture.

7 Comments

1. Candy Gourlay
    September 3, 2013 at 4:45 am

Heh you’re going to get annoyed with this reader from across the pond… because here’s a question: what would wheatgerm be in England? Or maybe, what could one replace it with?

• Catherine Mayhew
      Catherine MayhewReply
      September 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I actually researched this because I didn’t know the answer. Apparently, wheat germ is hard to find in the UK outside of health food stores. But you can just leave it out. Wheat germ is so teeny tiny that you don’t see it in the finished granola. It just adds a little extra flavor.

2. Julie
    JulieReply
    September 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm

oh my gosh, I am just now getting caught up after a fun weekend with my foodie besties (during which we talked about you because we had to make Bacon Twists) so I am just now seeing it! Super flattered, you are excessively generous with your kind words! thank you, Catherine! And Candy, I have recently been using Oat Bran instead of Wheat Germ because it is cheaper and doesnt’ require fridge after opening but agree, it is nonessential.

• Catherine Mayhew
      Catherine MayhewReply
      September 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I would say I want to be you when I grow up, but since I’m far older than you, that would be unrealistic. 🙂

• Bari Horton
        Bari HortonReply
        September 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Catherine, I’m SO GLAD you wrote this and actually asked for the recipe! Julie knows how I feel about her granola but I’ve been too shy to ask for it. I also agree with your obvious observation of Julie’s perfection…need I say more! Love you both!

• Gaurav Parekh
      September 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I am one of Julie’s besties’ privileged husbands who received a packet of Julie’s world famous granola yesterday. I mixed it with my honey and vanilla infused yogurt this morning and was rendered speechless as took the first bite! Thanks Julie! I’ll think of you every morning as I eat the deliciousness…

• Catherine Mayhew
        Catherine MayhewReply
        September 4, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I know, I know. I felt the same way. No more store-bought granola for me.