Bacon Bar: Day Three
I just thought I’d report back to you on my progress cooking 30 pounds of bacon for the Swine Ball tomorrow. First of all, I am running out of time. I have learned that any consumption of Pinot Noir slows down my production rate so I am trying to do this without having a glass of wine and that is making it so much more less-fun than it was before if that is possible. BUT. I have gotten my rotation going and that is helping. The rotation is this:
- Put first tray of bacon in oven. Wait for it to cook halfway.
- Put second tray of bacon in oven. Set timer for about 5 minutes.
- First tray of bacon is done. Take it out, put bacon on paper towels to drain. Put tray in microwave (also called the meat safe) where the cats can’t get it.
- Drain bacon grease into a container for Marida Stearns (what she wants with 10 cups of bacon grease I do not know and it is never wise to ask such questions)
- Refill first tray with bacon.
- Repeat entire process.
I am running out of refrigerator space. So far there are three containers of maple-glazed bacon, a container of spiced bacon twists and two containers of what my colleague, Betsy, refers to as Bacon Classic (plain bacon). I have to keep the bacon production rolling nonstop because I cannot proceed with the peanut butter chocolate chip and bacon cookies and the pimento cheese bacon crisps until all the bacon is cooked.
And I just want to go on record as saying that I hate Bobbie Cox. Bobbie shows up at CRC this morning with a bushel of corn. “What am I going to do with all this corn?” I asked her. “Well, that’s not my problem, now is it?” she replied. Truer words. But that’s not why I hate her. I love the corn and if we have to eat corn pudding, corn casserole, corn on the cob, grilled corn and corn dip for the next few weeks, King Daddy and I will get through it.
No, I hate her because I told her of my bacon baking marathon and she said this: “Catherine, the next time you have to bake 30 pounds of bacon just come visit me. I have access to a professional kitchen and I can get that done in an hour.” Show off.